Probably buffalo mozzarella DOP is, along with pizza and pastiera, the most famous product of Neapolitan gastronomy! These are the Italian products that many try to imitate a bit everywhere in the world. But let’s be honest, they do it without success. Let’s see what is the buffalo mozzarella? And what is the high-quality Mozarella (D.O.P)? Find out everything about buffalo mozzarella whole foods, buffalo Italy mozzarella, buffalo mozzarella from Campania. but also specifically the buffalo mozzarella Naples Italy.
Buffalo Mozzarella DOP
The goddess of Italian pasta dishes, but not just for those! Let’s see some details about buffalo mozzarella vs cow mozzarella, and the difference between buffalo mozzarella and mozzarella. It becomes very important, then, to understand when a buffalo mozzarella is really genuine! But what are the most easily recognizable characteristics that can help consumers to understand if they are buying a DOP product, properly made and preserved, or a bad imitation of it? Let’s see the secrets of a good-quality buffalo mozzarella cheese!
How to recognize the Buffalo Mozzarella DOP? Buffalo mozzarella vs cow mozzarella
In other words, what’s the difference between buffalo mozzarella and mozzarella?
1) COLOR: it must be pearl white. Buffalo mozzarella, differently from cow milk mozzarella, shouldn’t have any type of discoloration; it has to be pearly white, like fine bone china.
2) LOOK: smooth and homogeneous on the surface, layered and porous inside. The production method for this cheese creates an internal structure characterized by soft, porous layers. When it is cut, an abundant milky liquid should flow out from it.
3) AROMA: musky and milky. The way buffalos are fed determines the quality of the milk and, as a consequence, of all dairy products derived from it. Hay and maize, the basic feed for Campania’s buffalos, give a fresh musky taste to their milk. Another aroma easy to recognize is that of fresh milk.
4) TASTE: a milky and unsalted acidity. The first mouthful is slightly acidic and creamy, with a clear taste of fresh milk. After this comes to a sensation of persistent and satisfying creaminess, which amplifies the taste of the buffalo mozzarella cheese.
5) CONSISTENCY: chewy toughness. An indication of the freshness and quality of buffalo mozzarella is that it is chewy and crisp to the taste: shortly after it has been produced it should be nicely chewy and crisp. Only when it is no longer at its freshest, this cheese becomes soft and tender.
These are important points to know when it comes to buffalo mozzarella vs cow mozzarella, and the difference between buffalo mozzarella and mozzarella, We wish to remind you that the best moment to eat the mozzarella is the same day it is bought; if it is not eaten immediately, it should be kept in a fresh place, and kept in the liquid in which it came. If it is placed in a fridge, it is necessary to take it out some time before serving, as it should be eaten at room temperature to be able to fully enjoy its taste.
Rules and regulations to obtain the DOP certification for mozzarella cheese in Italy
The denomination of protected origin, better known as DOP, is a legally enforced denomination assigned by the European Union to products that are essentially linked, on the basis of their ingredients and production methods, to a specific geographical area. DOP products are also defined by specific types of craftmanship, only and exclusively found in the area of production.
All these factors combined together permit to obtain a product inimitable outside a determined productive area. In order to be certified DOP, a product must be produced entirely within and with ingredients coming from the certified area. Producers have to keep to and respect the strict rules and regulations established for said type of production. DOP products are regulated by a specific board of control, which guarantees all the regulations are respected.
So if we’re talking about buffalo mozzarella vs cow mozzarella, and the difference between buffalo mozzarella and mozzarella, with everything that we’ve mentioned above, you now understand that a simple mozzarella can’t obtain the Buffalo Mozzarella DOP certificate.
Best Italian dishes to make with Mozzarella
Mozzarella is something that is usually present in every Italian’s fridge. During the summer, you can make a quick and easy Caprese Salad with tomato and fresh basil. It’s probably the easiest, tastier and healthiest lunch dish idea that you can do! You just need one big tomato sliced, one buffalo mozzarella sliced, chopped basil, salt, and some olive oil. That’s all! And it is indeed delicious!
Mozzarella is used, as you know for many types of Italian pizza and pasta dishes as well. You can also use buffalo mozzarella cheese to make Gnocchi Sorrentini, as well as different fresh appetizers and salads. Some other Italian dishes to make with mozzarella are chicken parmesan, different types of frittata (omelets), and casseroles with zucchini or other veggies.
Wrapping up the facts about Buffalo Mozzarella DOP
This is what we wanted to highlight about buffalo mozzarella vs cow mozzarella, and the difference between buffalo mozzarella and mozzarella. Also about buffalo mozzarella whole foods, buffalo Italy mozzarella, buffalo mozzarella from Campania. but also specifically the buffalo mozzarella Naples Italy. Mozzarella is something incredible, and we in Italy always have at least one or two of them in our fridge. It’s the best quick salad ingredient when you don’t want to cook anything. Refreshing and tasty, the mozzarella is great for Italian dishes, hot summer days on Caprese salads, with tuna, or in dishes such as Gnocchi Sorrentini or Italian pizza!