Roasting vegetables, which concentrates their flavor by allowing excess moisture to evaporate, is one of the superb techniques that Francesco shares with many other contemporary chefs. Treating mushrooms in this manner results in lucious, meaty caps that are excellent served in salads. Roasted mushrooms can be sauteed quickly without flooding the pan with liquid, and when they are grilled they never turn tough.
Roasted Shiitake Mushrooms
- 12f oz (375 g) shiitake mushrooms (about 24 mushrooms)
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) dry white wine
- Sprigs fresh rosemary, sage, and thyme
- 2 cloves garlic sliced
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (180 C).
- Remove the stems from the mushrooms and wipe off any dirt with a damp towel.
- Sprinkle the oil and wine over the baking pan.
- Scatter the herbs and garlic on the pan, then place the mushrooms brown side down, on top.
- Bake for 10 minutes, turn the mushrooms, and bake 20 minutes longer.
- Serve or use in other recipes.