With fresh, flavorful ingredients, the simplest preparations, like this one for stewed zucchini, become irresistibly delectable. Francesco prepared an enormous quantity of this dish for a big outdoor buffet at his cousin’s house in Mestre. It was a perfect foil for grilled squid and smoky chunks of grilled baby monkfish tails. It can also be served over penne or fettuccine.
Zucchini in Umido
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 2/3 cup (80 g) chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic slivered
- 1 pound (500 g) zucchini courgettes, diced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 tbsp (8 g) unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp (15 g) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy, skillet. Add the onion and cook over low heat until it is tender and golden, about 10 minutes. Stir in the garlic, cook another minute, then add the zucchini.
- Cook, stirring from time to time, until the zucchini is tender, about 10 minutes longer.
- Season with salt and pepper and stir in the butter.
- To serve with fish, stir in the mint. Or serve as a vegetable topped with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.