“Real consomme is made with bones,” Francesco says. He boils the bones in water first, to clean them. Then, he says, it is important to start them in cold water for the consomme so they will release their flavorful juices.
Venetian Basic Consomme
- 3 pounds beef and veal bones, preferably with marrow and some meat
- 1 large onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 stalk celery
- 12 cups cold water
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Place the bones in a large saucepan, cover with water, bring to a boil, and boil for 5 minutes.
- Drain and rinse the bones.
- Put the bones in a large, clean stockpot and add the onion, carrot, celery, and cold water.
- Bring to a simmer and cook gently, skimming the surface from time to time, for 2 hours.
- Strain the consomme through a very fine strainer or a strainer lined with cotton cloth and season with salt and pepper.